Caffeine poisoning...

Good morning everyone,

It's going to be a gorgeous day out there today. We can expect a high of 16C and mostly sunny weather. Tomorrow isn't looking too shabby either-it's supposed to get up to around 14C. From Saturday it's going to be a bit cooler with highs for the weekend around 10C, but at least it's going to remain sunny.

I read in the news the other day about  a young man that had died from an overdose of caffeine. I guess some people don't realize that caffeine is a drug like alcohol and too much of it can do a lot of harm. However, I then saw the doctor on the news warning people about the dangers of caffeine or more specifically the dangers of having too much caffeine.

Everything he said is true, but it takes a lot of work to die from a caffeine overdose. I read somewhere that you would have to drink an equivalent of 20-30 energy drinks in a 24-hour period for it to kill you.
But you start feeling symptoms of caffeine intoxication long before that. A healthy amount of caffeine is somewhere around 400mg a day. It's hard to put an exact number on it because it's different for everyone depending on your age, weight and overall health.

Several types of symptoms occur caffeine overdose. Some symptoms may not immediately alert you that you have had too much caffeine because they may not seem serious. For example, you may experience:
  • dizziness
  • diarrhea
  • increased thirst
  • insomnia
  • headache
  • fever
  • irritability

Other symptoms are more severe and call for immediate medical treatment. These more serious symptoms of caffeine overdose include:

  • trouble breathing
  • vomiting
  • hallucinations
  • confusion
  • chest pain
  • irregular or fast heartbeat
  • uncontrollable muscle movements
  • convulsions
None of this is really surprising, is it? I guess I would like to know more details about how he consumed the caffeine. It's extremely difficult to die from drinking too much caffeine-just because the sheer amount of liquid you would have to ingest would make you feel full long before you reached fatal limits of caffeine. Plus you'd feel really sick as well, so I wonder why he would continue drinking energy drinks...

So, I guess my point is, don't worry about an overdose of caffeine if you're a coffee drinker. You'd spend most of your day peeing before you ever made yourself sick from drinking too much coffee. Ha ha! Enjoy your morning coffee!

Have a great day!

Post a comment

Private comment