Miyakojima Trip Part 1

Good morning everyone,

It's looking like today will be nice with a  mix of sun and clouds and a high of 34C. It's too hot for running, but it's better than the hot, humid and rainy weather we had yesterday.

So, I had a student or two mention that I didn't write at all about my trip to Miyakojima, so I though I'd put a few of the more interesting things in my blog for you to read.

Before we even took off from Fukuoka, we were worried about the flight being delayed or even cancelled due to Typhoon 19. Luckily though, it veered west just before reaching Fukuoka and we were able to take off on schedule. It was actually sunny and nice in Fukuoka at that point. We landed in Miyakojima 2 hours later and found it to be sunny and humid (although not nearly as humid as Hiroshima).

Our diving instructor picked us up at the airport and took us straight to the diving centre for orientation and a final written exam. She was very kind and actually gave me the test in English. That night we headed out for a steak-don't ask me why...it wasn't my choice. If it had been up to me, I would have chosen a Miyakojima-style izakaya, but I didn't complain because I knew that we'd have plenty of time to hit one or two local places during our trip.

The steak was good if a little overpriced. It was a T-bone. I can't remember the last time I had a T-bone steak...it had to have been about 10 or 15 years ago! It was cooked just right and it was pretty big actually. But it was over Y4,000! I think it may have been the most expensive steak I've ever eaten in my life! Ha ha!

The next day we were up early and getting ready for a day of diving...but before that we hit the hotel buffet. The place we were staying offered all sorts of healthy food and it was ok, but I was hoping for something a bit more traditionally Okinawan. I discovered shikuwasa juice though and it was awesome! I think I drank 2-3 glasses every morning I was there. It reminded me of my childhood and having homemade lemonade on hot summer days.

The diving on the first day was spent mostly in the pool to get everyone used to the equipment and skills we'd need to pass the test and it went off without a hitch. After lunch we headed to the ocean to practice some of them and check out some tropical fish.

By the end of the day, we were all beat and just headed to the nearest izakaya for a couple of beers and a quick bite before hitting the hay...Zzzz...

To be continued...

Have a great day!

Post a comment

Private comment